The Pursuit of Happiness

Friday, March 20, 2009

Single, tall, white, thin......this is what I am looking for!

Those that are closest to me know that I love sculpting art out of Styrofoam. I am not sure if my passion is in the ease of the use of the Styrofoam, or the tool that I use to cut it. You can only say the words "hot knife" if you make a noise of a horn as royalty enters a room. Yes, I feel it is THAT amazing! You would be amazed at what you can make out of this tall, white, thin, single sheet of carvable goodness.



One of my favorite places to be artistic is creating a set design. I am quite sure I have burned quite a few extra brain cells burning the midnight oil carving Styrofoam in my garage. Letters can be carved like buttah! Here are some fun things that I have had a blast creating. A 7ft x 8ft LOST, 15 ft tall swirls and paisley pieces, endless words, names and what not. I am working on a set right now for our upcoming series at my church called the Rising. The whole backdrop will be a urban city setting made completely of Styrofoam! It will be painted all black and backlit to look like the sunset.


I feel like a piece of Styrofoam at times. Never tall and that thin, but can look pretty stereotypical. Here is the surprise....I can be molded. I do melt down once and a while and break. When I am smokin', I can be toxic! I like to blow in the wind and see where I end up! I am protective and try not to let the ones I am surrounding get broken.

On your next trip to the hardware store take a look around. You might just find art waiting in the aisle when you expected to find just a piece of Styrofoam.

No comments: